Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What Not To Wear

Hello my friends,

I like fashion. Maybe too much, of late. I was inspired by another blogger to look a little closer into this topic, and how as a Christian, I should dress.

The Bible has a few specific guidelines for women's clothing. What comes to mind: "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." 1 Timothy 2:9-10. "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes." 1 Peter 3:3

Are we to follow these scriptures today, or do they only apply to the culture and time they were written? And who does that anyways? Well, at least one group, the orthodox Mennonite Church, takes these scriptures literally. As such, the Mennonites do not wear jewelry (even wedding rings) or makeup of any kind, or any flashy clothes. So are they applying the Bible to their lives correctly? Are they more radically devoted to God? It makes me examine my own commitment!

So, I am going to study this topic of Christian dress further. I will post my learnings and am eager to discuss on this blog what YOU think.

Really, the topic is much larger than fashion. It is directly tied to how Christians can be in the world but should not be of the world. It is directly tied to those who are rich in this present world. It is tied directly to the soul and our heart's desires. It is tied directly to how we interpret freedom in Christ. And for me, it is tied directly to my pride, how radical is my devotion to God, and my motives for dressing how I do.

Stay tuned...it should be a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add to the conversation! I'd love to hear from you.