Monday, August 2, 2010

The Five Year Lipstick…or, I Now Own Enough Makeup to Last the Rest of my Life


Some people have peer pressure. Some people feel pressure to perform or succeed. I often feel another kind of pressure, so odd that I can’t categorize it. Let me try to explain.

I feel pressure when I walk into a bookstore or library. I suddenly feel overwhelmed with the need to read everything there. If I don’t, I will be missing something important that could change my life!

I feel pressure when I look at my ever-growing collection of cookbooks. I received no less than five cookbooks for my wedding, after owning…zero. And people still keep giving me cookbooks, or if they don’t, they give me magazines with recipes in them. I feel pressure to make almost every single recipe I come across. As a result, I mark each recipe in my cookbook when I use it, so I don’t make the same one twice in my pursuit to cook everything between its covers. It’s a special kind of torture.

I also feel pressure to use every single lipstick, eyeshadow, and nail polish I own, on a regular basis, year after year, until they go bad, melt, or get smashed.

Now I think for the average makeup-wearing girl, this wouldn’t pose a problem. But for some reason, even though I wear a full face of makeup every single day of the year, the only makeup I ever use up is foundation, mascara, powder, and blush. The rest of my makeup lives on. And on. And on.

I’ve never purchased eyeshadow. Almost all the eyeshadows I own were given to me by people who received them in their department store brand’s Bonus Gift bags. They didn’t want them so now I have them. Imagine the pressure I feel to use up these free shimmering pearls of color!

Now here is a lipstick I am really excited about. It’s Lancome’s Rouge Magnetic in Smooch, my fave red lipstick. I think I’ve had it for more than five years. They don’t make it anymore, the line has been discontinued. Do you see how it’s almost used up? The day it’s gone will be a giant victory for me, in about about two years.



Do you see this concealer? I remember when I purchased it because it was the year my sister got married, 2002. I wore it in her wedding. I’m still trying to use it up.

I hope some day I will be able to break free of all these strange anxieties. Especially since I know all this makeup has (had?) expiration dates. Until then, my friends, please, please don’t give me any more lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add to the conversation! I'd love to hear from you.